Breaking News
Thursday, September 10, 2015

According to the Association for Safe International Road Travel, over 2 million people are injured or disabled in car crashes every year. While most vehicle accidents are minor, there are major injuries that can linger for a long time. Below explains five tips for dealing with lingering injuries.


Proper Response

After an injury, avoid straining yourself or engaging in strenuous activities. Avoid playing sports at all costs. Many people injured after an accident may think they are fine, but it is simply the body’s biochemical response to trauma. Stay at home and rest. Drinking plenty of fluids can help reduce inflammation through the proper removal of cellular waste products caused by the accident.

Understand Soft Tissue Injuries

Many injuries related to car accidents come in the form of soft tissue damage to the tendons, muscles and ligaments in the form of sprains and strains. It may take days to weeks for the pain and swelling to appear after a mild injury. However, serious strains and sprains may linger for months. Since soft tissue injuries cannot be seen through X-rays, pay close attentionto your body and your follow up with your doctor about any lingering aches and pains with soft tissue.


Ask your medical provider to refer you to a rehabilitation specialist or occupational therapist. These healthcare professionals will have the expertise and experience to help you properly heal and recuperate. They will also know specific exercises that will help with mobilization to speed up the healing process. A rehabilitation specialist will be able to monitor your progress and make sure you return to full functionality.


Consult a Pain Specialist

Living with chronic pain disrupts all aspects of a person’s life and results in social, personal and physical limitations. While most doctors will over rely on pain medication and sophisticated tests, chronic pain can be cured through precise diagnostic techniques. Learn more about pain management from professionals like Nexus Pain Specialists.

Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you were involved in a serious car accident, consider consulting with a personal injury lawyer. While your insurance will most likely pay medical bills, you can seek payments from your medical payments and uninsured motorist coverage. A lingering injury that interferes with your ability to maintain gainful employment will need the assistance of a legal professional with dealing with the other parties, insurance companies and hospitals.

Lingering aches and pains from car accidents can be successfully dealt with through proper rest and understanding of the seriousness of soft tissue injuries. Working with a rehabilitation and pain management specialist will ensure that you fully recover. Finally, if needed, consider consulting with a personal injury lawyer.


Post a Comment