Breaking News
Saturday, August 22, 2015

According to one report by EyeNet Magazine, over 34 million people around the globe have had laser eye surgery. Refractive laser eye surgery, such as LASIK, is an innovate procedure that can correct common vision problems. LASIK surgery is a quick and painless procedure that improves vision quality. As a result, patients no longer need contacts or glasses. Below introduces four eye conditions that LASIK can easily fix.



According to the American Optometric Association (AOA), nearsightedness is a condition affecting 30 percent of the population. Nearsightedness, or myopia, is when objects far away appear blurred and objects nearby appear normal. This occurs due to a curved cornea or long eyeball. For example, a long eyeball will result in light rays improperly focusing on the retina. However, heredity and vision stress also contribute to myopia.

There are certain lifestyle habits and environmental conditions that exacerbate myopia. For example, reading in poor light or watching a TV or computer screen in a dark room can raise your risk of myopia. Diabetics can also experience myopic like symptoms due to low blood sugar levels. According to the AOA, LASIK surgery can cure nearsightedness through reshaping the cornea by removing inner layers of tissue.


Farsightedness, or hyperopia, actually affects over 20 percent of the population. This is when people can clearly see distant objects, but cannot clearly see nearby objects. Farsightedness occurs due to the lens or cornea being slightly uneven. As a result, entering light improperly focuses on the back of the retina, instead of on the retina itself. As with nearsightedness, diabetics may experience retina damage.

Farsightedness can easily be corrected by getting LASIK in Salt Lake or from optometrist in your particular locale. The procedure starts with using the laser to make a thin flap on the cornea. Then the laser carefully removes tissue underneath the flap from the cornea. The flap is then replaced and will quickly heal.


Astigmatism is a very common eye condition that most people have to some degree. It occurs when the eye is not a round shape, but instead becomes oval shaped. Therefore, when light enters the retina, it is refracted too far in one direction. Irregularly shaped corneas will prevent the light from properly focusing on the retina. As a result, only part of an object will clearly appear. Not only can objects in the distance appear blurry, but the person may experience eye fatigue or headaches.

Astigmatism frequently occurs in conjunction with nearsightedness and farsightedness. While the actual cause of astigmatism is unknown, researchers suspect there is a hereditary connection. LASIK surgery will precisely remove inner tissue of the cornea to resolve this issue.



Very few people recognize the word presbyopia, but they do recognize that older adults tend to need reading glasses. The tell-tale sign is when an adult must adjust their reading material until at arm's length in order to properly read. Adults over the age of 40 are susceptible to presbyopia, the condition where the eye lens loses elasticity.

Presbyopia is a widespread vision condition that affects over 100,000 older adults every year. Presbyopia is believed to occur due to the gradual inflexibility and thickening of the lens. LASIK surgery can correct presbyopia by creating something called monovision, where one eye is stronger than the other. LASIK surgery becomes more beneficial as adults with presbyopia grow older.

To summarize, LASIK surgery is a safe and quick vision correction procedure that can correct refractive errors in the eyes. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reports that LASIK surgeries are 90 percent successful. The remaining 10 percent of patients need re-treatment due to major, preexisting vision problems. Some of the most common eye conditions that LASIK can cure include nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia.

Anica is a professional content and copywriter who graduated from the University of San Francisco. She loves dogs, the ocean, and anything outdoor-related. She was raised in a big family, so she's used to putting things to a vote. Also, cartwheels are her specialty. You can connect with Anica here.


Post a Comment