After reaching a certain age, losing weight becomes problematic. Different strategies can be employed by women over 40 to loseweight. Simple changes in lifestyle and dietcan go a long way in burning those unwanted calories.
Consult with a physician
- The first step required before embarking on any weight loss program is to consult with a physician. This is so as to ensure that you are not subjecting your body to unnecessary strain that will lead to health complications.
- Your physician can also propose an appropriate and safe regimen for you to follow in your weight loss program.
- It cannot be emphasized enough that you are what you eat. Eat a healthy diet and exercise portion control with the amounts that you eat. Use smaller plates to help you eat fist-sized portions of your meals.
- A balanced and healthy breakfastensures that you will be less hungry in the course of the day therefore do not skip breakfast.
- Avoid junk food at all cost and plan your meals ahead of time so that you don't opt to whip up something unhealthy.
- Ensure that you are getting all the necessary nutrients in your meals by having a balanced diet.
- Take note of what you eat in a diary so as to get rid of the elements which are not adding calories to your body
- Incorporate nuts, fruits andvegetables with healthy oils such as olives into your diet
- Research and collect healthy recipes that can complement your weight loss program
- Drink a lot of water to rejuvenate organ functions.
Take a walk
- Make taking walks part of your daily routine. Start out with short distances and gradually progress to longer distances with time.
- If you cannot find time for this, change some of your habits such as; begin taking the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car slightly further than your destination and walk the rest of the way. Enrol at a gym or sign up for aerobic classes
- This makes weight loss easier as you have instructors that can recommend certain regimens and there are also machines that provide great opportunities for exercise.
- Aerobics offer a fun way to lose weight and a chance to meet other people who are on the same path of weight loss as you.
- Yoga offers a relaxed and less strenuous way of burning calories therefore try to do an hour of yoga workout if the machines at the gym are not your preference.
- Having a group of friends or family to share recipes with and exercise with creates a conducive and fun atmosphere to continue with your weight loss program. A family that works out together stays together.
- Share the particular goals you have with them and they will keep you encouraged and on track.
Make it a lifestyle
- Don't do crash diets. This only leads to short term weight loss and unhealthy strain on your body and once the crash diet is over, the pounds start piling up again.
- Instead, make it a habit to count calories and switch your whole lifestyle for healthy daily routines.
Janet Caine is a prolific blogger, living in UK. She writes for a leading health magazine and gives reviews on biotrust nutrition products. Making people understand the value of leading a healthy and stress free life is her motto.